Tuesday 30 August 2011

All the P's

Since my brother's wedding on the 16th July, every weekend has been off 'doing'.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, it's been great, but by the end of the 'city break' in Prague I was just looking, not taking in.  A brief respite follows but after that there's Portugal then Paris.  I'll grit my teeth.
However, all this moving around is giving me a chance to finally get to grips with the epic "City in History" by Lewis Mumford, a tome that no normal person would have the chance to read from cover to cover without some serious time spent sitting in airport lounges.  This is not a book to read on the loo, you need to spend some serious time on it, but so far its been worth it, and I'm only just up to the Romans.

Disturbingly for my architecture career, I had more enjoyment just building a log stack in my back garden just now than trying to take in all the long and varied history of Prague, in all its gothic glory.  It was either the total swamping of the place in Starbucks, H&M, even Marks and Sparks, or it was just a very well constructed log stack.

Bit of a pile

No comments:

Post a Comment